Friday, May 21, 2010

Trying to get out of town with a Dodge

A Modern Pharisee's "Rig"
The Pharisee hasn't had his trailer on a road trip in about two years.
I've only put about 12,000 on my Haulmark, but it shows a lot more wear than that. That's because it has been 9 years.
Wiring McNuggets, fused pieces & parts
My Haulmark 10,000lbs GVWR tandem axle trailer got most of its miles on it while driving across the country and back two times in late 2008. It's popped two tires (one bad cornering decision on my part, maybe two) and it's needed a wheel bearing repack all the way around.

My 1993 Dodge D250 Club Cab LE Diesel has 147,000 miles on it, and I acquired it about a year before. The hitch and connector(s) were installed about the same I bought the trailer, so the wiring and connectors are about 9 years old. The last time I used them (18 months ago), they worked.

When I hooked up this time, nothing worked.

There were a variety of lingering issues under the dashboard of the truck dating back to the previous owner installing and removing various pieces of equipment. Those issues decided to deteriorate to the status of "non functional" over the last year.

While that was happening, a crack in the section of blue wire shown in the picture, was letting Vermont Road Salt in and that eventually broke completely, sometime in the last year and a half.

The connector was developing a huge wad of blue copper oxide that eventually broke the tab (but the corrosion held it in place) and it too was busted and would have withstood my amateur attempts at diagnosis for another week. Time I don't have.

The very helpful guy who flushed my radiator who solved a number of under the dash electrical issues, messed up on one with the brake controller, but I couldn't and he couldn't diagnose that, because A.) our knowledge base was too small and B.) the two other breaks down the line prevented us from knowing that.

Nevertheless I was up to a point where I was confident I could monitor another unknown mechanic/electrician in further diagnosing/repairing my wiring. If you're in the Barre and Montpelier area of central Vermont I highly recommend two places for repairing your truck and trailer.

Vermont Quick Lube where John LaCourse is knowledgeable honest and reasonable in pricing.

M's RV Sales and Service is run by Joann and Marcel. I got every hanging detail of my multiple age related wiring problems fixed there for $164.95 and now I have brakes on the trailer.

Well, I always did, they just weren't hearing it, when I said I wanted them. Now they do. Too bad they don't have a web site, but I hope if you're in the area, you visit them, if you need to buy or service something relating to your RV or Trailer.


Sphere: Related Content

No comments: