Wednesday, June 11, 2008

One of the First Churches is discovered.

This could turn out to be very significant, depending on how reliable the find is and what is uncovered there. For instance, if portions of the Gospels are discovered at this site or reliably dated artifacts, it would push back the time of stories about Christ absolutely to those contemporary with Christ. It would make it hard to deny his existence.

The Jordan Times by way of Yahoo News - "Archaeologists in Jordan have unearthed what they claim is the world's first church, dating back almost 2,000 years, The Jordan Times reported on Tuesday."

Some believe the Gospels to have originally been written in Aramaic or Aramaic and Greek. What if they were? There might be some surviving fragments at the site.

Personally, my faith is firm, which is not to say that I deny facts that conflict with my faith, it is to say that I don't think anything ultimately will be found (upon further review) that will contradict my faith. So I look fearlessly (for the most part) and confidently at whatever is discovered. This is fascinating stuff.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: