Thursday, February 09, 2012

Frame by Frame


This is my livelihood, being bent (straight?), hopefully for the last time.
After being bounced hard somewhere in between 4 and 5 times, and in the process, dropping what I calculate to be over 40 feet, my truck's frame was bent. In several places.

I know that frames can be bent back, and if done properly, with no noticeable effect. Most of today's cars are not body on frame construction, but I have been around body shops since the time when virtually all of them were. Bad frame repair is bad frame repair. Irreparable frames need to be completely replaced.

This is round two for the "Blew By You." I was told that frames after being straightened sometimes "settle" into a not so straight final result. I'm not entirely sure I believe that. I tend to think they just weren't straightened. If the explanation is plausible though, this new "rebending/straightening" might do the trick.

If not I greatly fear it will just keep bending into not so straight versions of it's former mostly straight self. I figure the truck was totaled if that turns out to be true, and it is in my view, totaled right now.

There are other nagging issues. The CD player doesn't work right anymore. The dash and various parts associated with it are loose. There are paw prints everywhere in the interior from various grease monkeys that worked on it. The fuel tanks do not drain or refill during use, correctly. Diesel tractors have a fuel return system that is supposed to keep the tanks evenly filled, but now mine doesn't do that. The fuel gauge has gone psychotic. The fifth wheel plate was replaced with a version that has been recalled for safety reasons, so it had to be replaced. Again. Tonight.

I have looked back on the entire experience with insurances, down time, being a driver with broken ribs and having my truck on the shelf for almost 4 months, and I've concluded I wouldn't do it. I don't know anyone who would. Except it seems that I did. Apparently few people who live through this sort of thing at my company do make it all the way through the experience.


Sphere: Related Content

No comments: