Saturday, June 19, 2010

Missing Missoula Man Chris Spurgin, found dead (UPDATED)

Following up on a story I posted earlier in the week.
The Missoulian - "Missoula County Sheriff Mike McMeekin said the man, identified as Chris Spurgin of Missoula, was located by ground search crews near the top of Lolo Peak at 9:20 a.m.

'They located his skis first, and then found his body nearby,' said McMeekin, who said the cause of Spurgin's death was as yet unclear.

Search and rescue crews from Missoula County, together with a helicopter search crew from Malmstrom Air Force Base in Great Falls, spent all day Thursday searching for the man, who was first reported missing on Wednesday night after he failed to show up at work (in the Radiology Department of St. Patrick's Hospital). Search and rescue crews from Ravalli County joined the effort on Friday."
Chris was 38 and single. To my knowledge, never married and had no children. His skis were found at the top of a ledge. He apparently took them off to look over the edge, and fell.


Sphere: Related Content

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris was a friend of mine. I'm curious as to why you are following this story, and where you got the idea that he looked over the edge of a ledge, and fell to his death.

Hugh McBryde said...

If that is wrong, then I apologize and will correct the record. It is second hand hearsay. I will only say that Chris' death made an impression on someone I know very well.

I followed the story for that reason and withheld my knowledge of his name until it was clear that it was a matter of public record.