Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Site News, Progress, Navel Gazing, Pondering Warren Jeffs, etc.

The Modern Pharisee hit World Wide Web Highs at "Alexa" with a rank of 323,544th 317,464th. That means that there are 323,543 317,463 web sites around the world with better traffic. This is a new high for my humble one author web site.
In the United States, I have flirted with the "Top 50,000's" and fallen back a bit. It seems I am gaining a wider global following. My viewers are dominated by young women, at home, with children. That fascinates me. It also explodes the myth rather thoroughly that I am a man talking to men about things that only men care about, or wish for.

I continue to compose rather long involved posts over at Vermont Polygamy which are designed to lead up to a justification for my activity on the legalization of polygyny. It is my belief that for me to speak publicly, a series of discussions must take place privately. Those are the persons to whom I owe submission in the Godly order of things. Those discussions have taken place.

Laying that out before the world so that it is known I did my due dilligence takes time. If it seems murky, technical and overly long, I apologize. It's necessary. It takes a lot of time to do it correctly.

For this reason, several writing projects are backing up on the desk, that, and I do work for a living. Work has been thankfully busy of late. Being busy is exhausting though and takes away from free time I have to compose the posts necessary to hold your interest, and the interests of others.

Warren Jeffs has been on my mind. There was a particularly nasty CBS article on him at the end of last week playing heavily to the "Child Rapist" angle. I couldn't bring myself to write clearly on it, because the article was so heavily skewed in favor of a "Lynch Warren" sort of viewpoint, and because I am increasingly angry with Warren himself. I believe he is betraying his people in not maintaining his health.

This produces a frustration where one prepares to do battle on behalf of someone who seems to be lying down and moaning concerning his bad fortune. The thoughts of "Get up, Defend yourself" largely erased my outrage with the hatred expressed towards Warren and the FLDS in the aforementioned article. So I leave Warren with this thought, from 1st Kings 9, verses 2-8, in the hope that it reaches him:
"Then Jezebel sent a messenger unto Elijah, saying, So let the gods do to me, and more also, if I make not thy life as the life of one of them by to morrow about this time. And when he saw that, he arose, and went for his life, and came to Beersheba, which belongeth to Judah, and left his servant there. But he himself went a day's journey into the wilderness, and came and sat down under a juniper tree: and he requested for himself that he might die; and said, It is enough; now, O LORD, take away my life; for I am not better than my fathers. And as he lay and slept under a juniper tree, behold, then an angel touched him, and said unto him, Arise and eat. And he looked, and, behold, there was a cake baken on the coals, and a cruse of water at his head. And he did eat and drink, and laid him down again. And the angel of the LORD came again the second time, and touched him, and said, Arise and eat; because the journey is too great for thee. And he arose, and did eat and drink, and went in the strength of that meat forty days and forty nights unto Horeb the mount of God."
Eat Warren. Be strong for the journey is great. God has put you on this Earth for a purpose. Dying is cowardice. To live is Christ.

For one to live, and serve Christ, which is what the Apostle Paul tells us, one must believe. I do not agree that the faith of the FLDS is a Christian Faith and cannot agree that it leads to salvation. Warren (if he truly believes what he says he does) is a lost man leading others into the pit. I know he reads the Bible and has read it. For that reason, I reach out to him and tell him "Get up, EAT, for the journey is great." I pray that in the end, the journey leads to the LORD, and not where I think he is ultimately going. Warren does play his part though, whether it is used of God as a profane thing like Pharoah, or used of God as a sacred thing, one of his elect.

Why mention this? I firmly believe that Barbara Walther is hoping that Warren dies. It makes it easier for her to rule against the "Motion to Suppress" because if Warren is dead, and she rules against it, there is no second guessing of her opinion in Arizona. Warren will be dead, there will be no case there. Warren then betrays his own flock, who need his help in their cause, which I believe is just. The exclusion of the evidence doesn't just help Warren, it helps the Texas defendants. It helps religious freedom and therefore it helps me. Buck up Warren, Arise, EAT, the journey is great.


Sphere: Related Content

6 comments:

Ron in Houston said...

She's worried about what Arizona says?

Would that be before or after she recuses herself?

Hugh McBryde said...

Ron,

If you're going to imply that speculation, labeled as speculation, which is a lot like betting on the eventual outcome of the Superbowl means I said that something would definitely happen that way, well, that wouldn't surprise me.

This isn't a jury, try making an argument, not a play for a verdict. BTW, tell me, why hasn't she ruled on the motion yet? All I'm asking for is your informed speculation.

Ron in Houston said...

Hugh,

Despite the fact that they get paid to make decisions, judges often try to avoid ruling. When they're caught in a trap and must rule on a highly contentious point, they try to as carefully as time allows craft their rulings so they will be upheld upon later review. She has the time, so she is going to take advantage of it to make her ruling as bullet proof as possible.

Then again, she could just be like a lot of folks and be a horrible procrastinator or perhaps a combination of both.

Hugh McBryde said...

Discounting the procrastination possibility, I've said exactly that. Walther has had a kill shot, returned from the net already in this case, no Judge wants to be overturned. If they did, they'd have probably ruled the other way the first time.

Texas did not give Walther a lot to go on with their reply to the motion to suppress. Going forward with Jury selection suggests she's made up her mind, but she hasn't told us what that decision is yet. Going ahead with Jury selection also suggests what her decision is.

If she's made up her mind, why don't we know?

To me it sounds like the response she's "crafting" is really a rationalization.

Warren dying relieves Walther of a huge burden. I know you and Blues have guffawed loudly and often at the idea that a ruling in Arizona will have any effect on the cases in Texas, but it will. A dead Warren means Walther fights a war on only one front, and in familiar territory, with allies.

I've speculated just about every outcome and why.

Recusal would be the easy way out, but not if Walther could later to be shown to be part of some conspiratorial activity, no matter now slight. If Brooks Long for instance, is "in it" with her, then she has to stay in, and has to rule against the motion to suppress.

Ruling against also means she has to write that decision, and Walther is a politician, and a drill Sargent, not a great jurist. Texas gave her no help on paper, no published argument she could agree with, so I suggested she might have the opinion "ghost written" and the filing from Texas in this matter simply gave her an exhaustive list of ingredients from which to bake that concoction. Someone else could write it for her, and explain it to her, and then she could come out and announce it. Walther has been reported to be in Austin for a while, I don't know how accurate that report was. My source hasn't lied to me about things like that.

Last, I had hoped, and had good reason to suspect that she might rule for the motion to suppress, pulling a Captain Renault, and being shocked to find out there's been evidence falsified and withheld in the issuing of the original warrants. I think we're past that now, and recusal is fading from the field.

She's going to rule against, but the delay is fascinating. If I enjoy her squirming any longer, I'm likely to become a sadist.

Ron in Houston said...

Technically Warren dying only gives Walther very partial relief because she's got one less case.

I honestly think you're barking up the wrong tree on the "Warren dies - no Arizona" guess. She doesn't give a flip about what Judge Conn in AZ says.

To the extent she's concerned about her reputation as a jurist, it's the Courts of Appeals above her and not Judge Conn she's worried about.

Hugh McBryde said...

Ron,

Once more I attempt to engage in civil dialogue, and once more I'm confronted with the choice that you are a bad lawyer, or untruthful. You seem incapable of rational dialogue.

Regardless of what Walther "Gives a Flip" about, there will be no second guessing of the admissability of the Raid Evidence in Arizona Cases if Warren IS DEAD. He ceases to have standing before the court when he assumes ROOM TEMPERATURE. Judge Conn will not waste his court's time deciding what evidence would have been used in the Arizona Cases, that was obtained from YFZ if WARREN IS TAKING A DIRT NAP.

Beyond that, if you think you can convince me that a Judge carefully crafts a decision because that judge doesn't want to be reversed, DANG STRAIGHT she cares what happnes in Arizona. Furthermore, it WILL bleed into the case as it is appealed up the line.

Last stop for ANYTHING is the Supreme Court of the United States of America and if the evidence was excluded from Warren's trials in Arizona because of improper procedures used in collecting it, SCOTUS will doubtless look at that.

So to me, when you behave this way, I have several choices.

You're LYING. That includes playing your part as if you were the attorney of record for your side. Just like any lawyer on the job, you pretend not to understand the clear arguments of the opposition, because it doesn't help your client get a verdict read the way you want to be read.

You're an Idiot. That's difficult, because if you are (and it doesn't honestly surprise me that a Lawyer can be Lawyer and an Idiot simultaneously), then I'm eventually the bigger Idiot to give you audience.

Now, if you want to play this game and deteriorate into insult fest, I have the bigger soap box. Please give me a reason to delete this derisive post, and communicate with you as a reasoning being. All the evidence is in as far as Walther and any future appeals are concerned. It hardly matters what happened anymore, it matters what's on the record, and what's in the motions/closing arguments, etc.