Saturday, February 28, 2009

Dr. James Dobson Steps Down

I am by no means, a fan. I think he was politically blinkered, and the very name of his ministry promoted theological error.
Christianity, something Dr. Dobson and I both share in common, is not focused on the family. Not in the slightest. It is focused on the LORD. Focusing on the LORD on average, should have beneficial effects on the family I believe, but only if the center of attention is our God. You do not come to God to fix your family. You come to God and he may purpose in that to fix your family.

Colorado Springs, CO - "One of the common errors of founder-presidents," Dr. Dobson said, "is to hold to the reins of leadership too long, thereby preventing the next generation from being prepared for executive authority. I have wanted not to make that mistake with Focus on the Family, which is why I stepped back, first from the presidential duties six years ago, and now, from board chairmanship. Though letting go is difficult after three decades of intensive labor, it is the wise thing to do."
One of the most destructive lies that Dobson drummed ignorantly away at in the public arena was this one:
"God created marriage as a loyal partnership between one man and one woman."
He was also obsessed with homosexuality. I sternly and strongly reject homosexuality in the fellowship of Christ, but outside the Church, God judges. To rail and rant publicly against gays is folly. What, after all, does one expect from the lost? Appearing on secular television shows, answering in the public forum as to the rightness and wrongness of homosexuality is foolishness. "Gay gene" or no, they are as God made them, and if God elects that they be saved, he will deal with their error. It's a "Whisper on a scream and doesn't mean a thing." There is no record in New Testament Christianity of marching in protest in Rome, or Athens. We have enough planks in our own eyes and should deal with matters inside the church.

Dr. Dobson's perpetual promotion of the lie of monogamy as marriage has helped keep the church blinkered. Like anyone on the establishment side of the church and marriage issue, I'd love to take him on man to man. But they won't do that. It's a no win scenario for Dobson and others. It's a losing argument so why have it with me and call attention to that inadequacy or me for that matter?

Hat tip to Professor Howard Friedman, Religion Clause.


Sphere: Related Content

1 comment:

John Whitten said...

I agree with your assessment of Focus and Dr. Dobsons goals. It is too bad he or his staff will not take your challenge. You have the appropriate ammo, God's Word. However, TRUTH has never been a consideration for those perpetuating popular myths. Early in my discovery of the TRUTH of marriage (polygyny), my wife called Focus for help in dealing with my new belief. The staff members she spoke to didn't attempt to deal with the Biblical issues I had raised, or help her understand me. They wanted to talk to me, to straighten me out. "He has a problem" was their point of view. Fortunately, make that providentially, their actions really helped her understand my position better. Keep up the good work, my brother.